‘Personal Information’ is defined in the Privacy Act to mean information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable:
- whether the information or opinion is true or not; and
- whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.
‘Privacy Act’ means the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) as amended from time to time.
‘Sensitive Information’ is defined in the Privacy Act to include things such as race, sexual orientation, political opinions, members of a trade association or trade union, criminal record or health information.
OVERVIEW OF THIS POLICY
This Policy details how we comply with the Privacy Act, including the Australian Privacy Principles which have been introduced under the Privacy Act.
This Policy does not apply to the collection or use of information about corporations.
We may from time to time review and update this Policy to take into account new laws and technology, our operations and practices. We encourage you to check our website from time to time to ensure that you are aware of our current Policy.
The type of Personal Information we collect and hold includes:
- identification information, such as your name, date of birth and address;
- telephone numbers and e-mail addresses;
- credit card details for the purposes of your purchase(s) of our products;
- information provided as a result of competitions and other promotions;
- marketing and other advertising information relating to advertising demographics and research; and
- other information provided by consent.
We may at times, subject to this Policy, collect and hold Sensitive Information.
HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION
We generally will only collect such information about you if you voluntarily submit it to us by:
- providing your information in person or during a telephone call with our staff;
- sending us an email or facsimile;
- completing forms;
- purchasing products or gift vouchers from us through our website;
- sending us information when using any part of our website.
WEBSITE USAGE AND COOKIES
We may collect certain information from you such as:
- your browser type;
- your location;
- your IP address;
- the time and date that you accessed our website;
- information about when and how you use our website;
This information is used by us to administer our website, analyse trends and improve our website, products and services.
REASON FOR COLLECTION, DISCLOSURE & USE
We will not collect Personal Information unless the information is reasonably necessary to:
- provide goods and services to you;
- provide you with information about those goods and services;
- assist you with enquiries;
- gain an understanding of your needs;
- give you access to specific sections of our website and improve your online experience with us; and
- comply with legal obligations.
We may disclose Personal Information to our related entities.
We do not disclose Personal Information to any overseas recipients.
We will not collect Sensitive Information about you unless:
- we obtain your explicit consent to collect and use such information, or:
- the information is reasonably necessary for one or more of our functions or activities; or
- the collection of the information is required or authorised by or under Australian law or a court/tribunal order; or
- a permitted general situation exists in relation to the collection of the information by us
We aim to ensure that the Personal Information we hold is accurate, up-to-date and complete. Please ensure any information you provide is accurate, up-to-date and complete, and notify us if you believe we hold information that is outdated, inaccurate, misleading, irrelevant or incomplete so that it can be corrected.
You are entitled to access your Personal Information held by us.
If you wish to access this information, you must lodge a request for access by contacting the owner by email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will be provided with access to the information within 30 days of the request (unless unusual circumstances apply).
We are not required to give you access to this information if:
- it would be unlawful to do so; or
- denying access is required or authorised by an Australian law or a court/tribunal order; or
- to do so would likely prejudice one or more enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body.
If we do not give you access to the information requested you will receive written notice that explains the reason for the refusal.
Complaints about alleged breaches by us of the Privacy Act, the Australian Privacy Principles or this Policy can be made by contacting the owner at email@example.com. If you do not consider that your complaint has been adequately dealt with by us, you may make a further complaint to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner, which has complaint handling responsibilities under the Privacy Act.